Ms Vicki Wilde, both Director of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) Gender and Diversity Programme and AWARD, said the outstanding researchers were picked through a highly competitive process that attracted 785 high calibre applicants from 11 African countries, bringing the total number of women in the programme to 250.
“These talented women are conducting critical agricultural research that is desperately needed to feed Africa’s people and help mitigate crises like we are seeing in East Africa right now”, said Wilde. Established in 2008, AWARD is a professional development programme that strengthens the research and leadership skills of African women in agricultural science, empowering them to contribute more effectively to poverty alleviation and food security in sub-Saharan Africa.
The programme offers two-year fellowships focused on mentoring partnerships, science skills and leadership development.
Women agricultural scientists from Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia who have completed a bachelor’s, master’s or a doctoral degree are eligible to apply.
Another eligibility criterion is that these women must already be working with the communities to address issues of food security and climate change, among others.
And the winners are:
- Sosina Bezu Chiksa, PhD, Agricultural Economics, Assistant Professor Addis Ababa University.
- Atsede Solomon Retta, MSc Horticulture, Researcher Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research
- Bezaye Gorfu Tessema, MSc. Natural Resources Mgt, Assis Researcher,EIA
- Adey Melesse Yalew, MSc, Animal and Livestock Sciences,Assistant Researcher in Animal Biotechnology and Livestock Nutrition
- Francisca Aba Ansah, BSc, Crop Science Consultant, Agroteque Services Limited.
- Akua Konadu Antwi-Agyakwa, BScEntomology.
- Evelyn Asante-Yeboah, MSc Natural Resources Management, Assistant Manager Resource Management Support Centre.
- Vincentia Naa Ayele Hammond, MSc, Food Science and Nutrition Senior Research AssistantUniversity of Ghana.
- Wilhemina Quaye, MSc, Agricultural Economics, Senior Research Scientist Council for Scientific and Industrial Research-Food Research Institute.
- Mary Danse Salifu, BSc, Natural Resources Management, Project Officer, Association of Church Development Projects.
- Faustina Dufie Wireko-Manu, PhD/,Food Science and Nutrition Lecturer Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.
- Beatrice Ekesa-Onyango, MSc, Food Science and Nutrition, Research Fellow, Bioversity International
- Violet Njeri Gathaara, BSc, Extension Education Research Officer, Kenya Agricultural Research Institute
- Annah Indeche, BSc, Horticulture Senior Field Technologist, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
- Mary Makokha, PhD, Natural Resources Management, Lecturer, Kenyatta University
- Lillian Mulupi, BSc, Biodiversity Conservation Species Officer,World Wildlife Fund – Kenya Country Office
- Anne Wanjiru Muriuki, PhD, Soil Science, Senior Research Scientist, Kenya Agricultural Research Institute
- Nimmo W. Gicheru Ngatiri, MSc, PhD Student, Animal and Livestock Sciences, International Livestock Research Institute
- Njeri Njau, BSc, Agronomy, Teacher, Angaza Boys School
- Felister Mbute Nzuve, MSc, Crop Science Volunteer, Kenya Agricultural Research Institute
- Sarah Osama, BSc, Crop Science Student, University of Nairobi
- Martha Mueni Sila, PhD Entomology, Agricultural Officer, Ministry of Agriculture
- Anne Gesare Timu, BSc, Agricultural Economics, Intern Tegemeo Institute of Agricultural Policy and Development
- Lilian Wambua, PhD, Animal and Livestock Sciences, Tutorial Fellow, University of Nairobi, School of Biological Sciences
- Romell Admitter Teenezee Wleh, BSc, Natural Resources Management, Special AssistantEnvironmental Protection Agency of Liberia
- Elizabeth Bandason, MSc, Entomology, Lecturer, Bunda College of Agriculture
- Jacqueline Kazembe, MSc, Acquatic Resources and Fisheries, Deputy Chief Fisheries Officer
- Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security, Tawina Jane Kopa-Kamanga, MSc, Water and Irrigation Management, Chief Irrigation Officer, Mzuzu Irrigation Services Division
- Mtisunge Mngoli, BSc, Biodiversity Conservation, Research Assistant Bunda College of Agriculture
- Asimenye Nthakomwa, BSc, Natural Resource Management, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Mulanje Mountain Conservation Trust, Mountain Bioversity Increases Livelihood Security Project
- Jean Chitsanzo Sauti Phiri, BSc, Sustainable Agriculture, Acting Principal, Agricultural Gender Roles Extension Support Services Officer, Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security
- Felicidade Margarida Macome, MSc, Animal and Livestock Sciences Head, Beef Cattle SectorAngonia Research Station
- Graça Manjate, BSc, Agricultural Economics,Intern Research, Institute of Agricultural Research of Mozambique
- Ângela Manuel Manjichi, MSc, Agronomy, Manager, Business Incubator Centre, Instituto Superior Politécnico de Manica
- Olutayo Modupeola Adedokun, PhD, Applied Mycology, Lecturer,University of Port Harcourt
- Foluke Abimbola Aderemi, PhD, Animal and Livestock Sciences, Lecturer, Bowen University
- Ifeoma Chinyere Agbo, MSc, Veterinary Sciences, Lecturer,University of Nigeria
- Ebere Martina Ekwe Agwu, BSc, Food Science and Nutrition, Senior Officer, National Health Insurance Scheme
- Oluwafolake Adenike Akinbode, MSc, Crop Science, Junior Research Fellow, Obafemi Awolowo University
- Bolanle Aishat Akinwande, PhD,Food Science and Nutrition, Senior Lecturer, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
- Ebinimi Joseph Ansa, PhD, Acquatic Resources and Fisheries, Centre Manager/Chief Research Officer African Regional Aquaculture Centre—Aluu
- Joan Modupe Babajide, PhD, Food Science and Nutrition, Senior Lecturer University of Agriculture,
- Bridget Bobadoye, BSc, Entomology, Lecturer Federal College of Forestry
- Ugo Chijioke, MSc, Food Science and Nutrition, Senior Research Officer, National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike
- Isibhakhomen Shirley Ejoh, MSc, Junior Research Fellow, Food Science and Nutrition, Institute of Agricultural Research and Training, University of Ibadan
- Oluwakemi Enitan Fapojuwo, PhD, Extension Education, Senior Lecturer, University of Agriculture
- Folasayo Titilola Fayose, PhD, Agricultural Engineering, Research Fellow, University of Agriculture
- Beatrice Olubukola Ogunba , PhD, Food Science and Nutrition, Senior Lecturer Obafemi Awolowo Universit
- Adeyeye Olajumoke, MSc, Animal and Livestock Sciences, Program Officer Obafemi Awolowo University,
- Motunrayo Funke Olumakaiye, PhD, Food Science and Nutrition,Lecturer/Researcher, Obafemi Awolowo University
- Ogochukwu Sarah Omeje, BSc, Food Science and Nutrition,Scientific Officer, National Biotechnology Development Agency
- Celestina Ibitayo Omohimi, BSc, Food Technologist, Food Science and Nutrition, Reals Confectioneries Ltd.
- Oluyinka Oroniran, BSc, Graduate Assistant, Food Science and Nutrition, Bowen University
- Olubukola Bosede Osuntade, MSc, Extension Education, Program Officer Livelihoods Support and Development Centre
- Olutola Oyedele, PhD, Extension Education, Assistant Director, National Horticultural Institute Nigeria
- Olubukola Victoria Oyerinde, PhD, Lecturer, Forestry and Agroforestry, Federal University of Technology
- Nusirat Aderinsola Sadiku, BSc, Forestry and Agroforestry, Lecturer, Gateway Polytechnic Saapade
- Marie Lucie Chantal Nyiragaruka, BSc, Biodiversity Conservation,Tutorial Assistant,Higher Institute of Agricultural and Animal Husbandry
- Olive Tuyishime, BSc, Soil Science, Tutorial Assistant, Higher Institute of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry Tanzania
- Devotha Mchau, BSc, Agricultural Economics, Research Supervisor International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
- Epifania Augustine Minja, BSc, Food Science and Nutrition,Project Coordinator,Women Fight Inequality and Destitution in Tanzania, Kilimanjaro Women Information Exchange and Consultancy
- Dorothy John Ole-Meiludie, MSc,Crop Science, Principal Agricultural Research Officer Tanzania Official Seed Certification Institute
- Racheal Aye, MSc, Teaching Assistant, Animal and Livestock Sciences, Gulu University
- Dina Nabasumba, BSc,Research Assistant, Forestry and Agroforestry, National Agricultural Research Organization
- Janet Nabwami, MSc, Soil Science, Head, Department of Soil and Environmental Science Umutara Polytechnic
- Grace Nakabonge, PhD, Molecular Biology, Lecturer, Makerere University
- Immaculate Mugisa, BSc, Crop Science, Research Assistant/Crop Agronomist
- National Agricultural Research Organization
- Lorraine Makumba Chishimba, BSc, Public Relations, Agricultural Information Officer Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operatives
- Mirriam Phiri, BSc, Soil Science, Agronomist Cotton Development Trust
- Catherine Sakala, BSc, Ecology, Tsetse Control Biologist, Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development